Vegetarian Roasted Baby Pig?

Thursday, February 5, 2009

The only foods I can eat with the word baby in them are veggie in nature, like baby corn, baby portobellos, baby bamboo shoots, baby spinach, etc. Truthfully, I don't think I could eat actual roasted baby pig. Count me in the group of Filipinos that refuse to eat Balut. It just seems wrong. Even though I consider myself quite adventurous when it comes to eating fare from around the world, there's some foods that just elicit a confusing reaction that's both intriguing and disturbing.

During my highschool senior year, I explored the vegetarian diet. I wasn't a true vegetarian, since I ate eggs, cheese and seafood. I abstained from beef, pork and chicken. Which was a task considering mom makes the best Chicken Adobe, Sinigang, Kare Kare and Terrific. It was "Hello" to salads, garden burgers, tofu, and a lots of Taco Bell bean burritos. That year, I tricked a group of my carnivore buddies with Garden Burgers topped with all the regular burger fixings and treated my aunt & uncle with mock scrambled eggs, made with tofu. They were completely fooled as they gobbled every last bite.

While, I re-entered the ominvore population shortly after moving to the Philippines for college, I stil don't think that I would be even remotely brave enough to try the Vegetarian Roasted Baby Pig, had it been available. Who knows, someday, I may muster the courage to try this...but, for now, I'll stay away.

0 comments:

Diseño original por Open Media | Adaptación a Blogger por Blog and Web